Don’t leave this off your holiday to-do list
For many travelers, insurance is often an after-thought once the important things like accommodation and flights have been booked. Often, holidaymakers go with the cheapest cover. After all, holidays are rarely cheap and who needs that additional cost?
These days, travel insurance is available from a broad range of sources, not just traditional insurers. You can get travel insurance through your credit card provider or health fund, or through your travel agent. But how do you know what you’re really being covered for?
Research from 2017 shows that a third of Australian travelers choose the cheapest travel insurance option available, without consideration of other factors, like what they’re covered for – or not. This could potentially leave travelers with thousands of dollars in out-of-pocket (and unbudgeted!) expenses like losses due to cancelled flights, medical expenses, lost or stolen passports or damaged luggage.
Travel insurance: What to consider
- Destination: Consider where you’re going and what you plan to do while you’re there. If you’re headed to a risky destination or plan to engage in extreme sports, you need to let your insurer know so you can get the right cover.
- Existing medical conditions: Existing medical conditions such as heart conditions, diabetes or pregnancy, could affect your insurance cover, so it’s important to check with the insurer to make sure you’re covered. If you have an existing medical condition, it can be hard to find an insurer who’ll cover you. In this case, the most effective approach is to work with a broker to find the right cover.
- Free options: Free travel insurance (for example, with your credit card) is often worth exactly what you pay for it. Remember, there’s no such thing as a free lunch.
Through our relationship with Travelcard & Chubb you can access Travel Insurance online
You are about to leave Finsura’s website and be referred to either Chubb or TravelCard’s website for Travel insurance services. We are authorised to provide a referral service only. In making this referral we do not advise or represent that Chubb or TravelCard’s products and services are right for you and take no responsibility for the products and services Chubb or TravelCard may provide to you. You need to make your own decision based on the information Chubb or TravelCard provides. If you purchase any Chubb or TravelCard product we will be remunerated by them by way of a commission for doing this. The amount is a percentage of their remuneration the amount of which may depend on the circumstances. A commission may also be paid on renewal and in some cases on variation. Details of the commission paid to us can be found on Chubb & TravelCard’s FSG available on their website or ask us for details. By continuing you accept these terms.
We can help you get the right cover, at the right price across a number of areas
How can we help you with your business insurance needs?
As your risk adviser, we understand the fine print, so you’ll know exactly what you’re signing up for. To get the right coverage, you talk to our experts in personal insurance. Finsura can help you:
- find the best insurance cover for your needs
- review cover from the broadest range of insurers
Contact us today to find our more. Call us on 1800 252 712 to speak to an adviser or request a quote.